IncrediBull Ideas case study
- Successfully introduced Sleepwell a custom made mandibular advancement splint as a technological innovation to improve the quality of life for snorers and the people who suffer with them.
- Raised awareness of snoring, normally perceived by the media and public as a joke, in a serious and authoritative manner.
There are an estimated 12 million people affected by snoring in the UK, but the media coverage of snoring is historically more humorous than helpful.
We needed to change public perception of snoring and get into their consciousness that snoring is more than just a joke and a noise; it detrimentally affects people’s lives, could be the symptom of a more serious condition, Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and could potentially kill sufferers.
Our 3 stage approach
1. We assigned an independent research company to establish:
- Level of public understanding of snoring and its health dangers
- Awareness of treatments for snoring
- Best place to go for treatment
The research, conducted by VAR International of London, identified a high level of ignorance and misunderstanding about the seriousness of snoring and where to seek advice and treatment.
When asked, most people did not know that snoring could be treated by a re-alignment of the jaw and that treatment was available at a dentist.
2. We publicised in the medical and dental trade media a programme of nationwide seminars conducted by Solutions 4 Snoring Ltd to train dentists in the fitting of Sleepwell.
So far, more than 400 UK dentists have been trained to understand sleep-related breathing disorders and to treat snorers, where appropriate, with Sleepwell.
3. We launched a comprehensive media relations campaign – press, radio, TV and online – to publicise the results of the snoring awareness research study and also the publication of independent clinical trials into the effectiveness of Sleepwell and mandibular advancement splint (MAS) therapy.
The prime public relations strategy was to position Solutions 4 Snoring website (http://www.solutions4snoring.com/) as an authoritative information source on snoring and treatments as an essential step in driving snorers and/or their partners to see a dentist.
We advised on the site’s design and development and drafted content to ensure that it blended both medical and easy to understand consumer messages for doctors and dentists as well as snorers and their partners.
This overall strategy was supported by:
- Engaging dental professionals face to face at the education and training seminars;
- Offering Dr Ama Johal, one of Britain’s leading experts in dentistry and mandibular advancement treatment for interview.
- Presenting Sleepwell as the only clinically trialed MAS on the market
- Developing a case history database of Sleepwell patients.
We conducted with health and medical print and broadcast journalists and provided them with:
- A breakdown of the clinical research information
- The patient survey
- Dr Johal conducted press and radio interviews
We provided the information to online medical news portals and also contributed to snoring blogs.
The coverage results:
3 nationals, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, including full page feature in the Sun newspaper.
9 regional, including a full page in the Grimsby Telegraph with photography and case study breakdown and half page in the Scottish Sun with case studies and survey information
20 radio broadcasts, interviews with Dr Ama Johal
The Sleepwell public relations campaign has, so far, achieved one of its key objectives – driving snorers and their partners to the solutions4snoring website.
In just over three months since the campaign was launched more than 36,000 people have been attracted to the site with many seeking further information about the anti-snoring device.
Further business results include:
- Over 400 S4S trained dentists since September
- Two independent pharmacies are planning on doing S4S in-house training in 2006
- Tesco interested in a setting up snoring clinics in stores in 2006
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.