1. Initial Pitch
• What is the campaign’s purpose?
• Have I a mail piece sample ready to send to all the List Brokers that are pitching?
• Are there possible competitors who may not rent names but may swap?
2. Get as much information as you can on lists:
• How is it collected?
• Is it compiled, response, questionnaire based?
• How often is it updated?
• What are the basic profiles – age, male/female, demographics?
• Are key selections defined?
• How often has it been rented?
• What are the delivery times?
• What selections are available?
3. Price and Quantity
• Ask for a list to test
• Large mailers should be able to demonstrate their high nets downs rate, especially for new tests
• Work out the cost of the name mailed, based on expected net downs after merge/purge, cost of additional selections, run on charges, delivery charge. You will normally be quoted a price per 1,000.
• Forecast how many you should buy based on merge/purge output
• Do you want to negotiate for repeat mailings?
• What are the term of usage?
• Make sure you have some back up lists
• What would be the additional costs for a roll out?
4. List Warranties and DPA
• Is the list registered?
• Does the data adhere to the Data Protection Act?
• Are warranties in place re the DPA?
5. Ask for help
• Be prepared to ask for help
• Share information with the List Broker and build up a good relationship
• The better the relationship, the better service you will receive
For more information check out http://www.dma.org.uk
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.