Threepipe was appointed by LEGOLAND Windsor in January 2010 to launch the first pirate-themed area at a British theme park. The agency was asked to work with the in-house PR team to develop a series of stunt and campaign ideas to drive national media coverage for the new area as well as the park.
• To launch Pirates Landing, LEGOLAND Windsor’s new attraction for
• Generate national, regional and consumer media coverage driving
visitors to the park
• Create content and buzz through digital and social media channels
Creative and Activity:
• To celebrate the launch of Pirates Landing, we decided to have a
crack at the Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of
pirates in one place, to happen on the opening day of the park.
• Working with Guinness World Records, we set up the event, in which
any families coming along in full pirate costume would get free
access to the park. The record attempt was promoted in advance
through national, regional, parenting, kids and online media. We
even linked up with the British Fencing team to create authentic
pirate imagery, and another angle for the media.
• To boost the campaign and provide content for social media, we
also set up an online search for the world’s greatest pirate joke,
challenging people to submit their favourite via the LEGOLAND
Windsor website, with links from the brand’s Facebook page, and
supported through Twitter.
• Alongside this activity, we ran a comprehensive media outreach
campaign around the new Pirates Landing attraction, positioning the
park as the ideal day out for families.
• More than 600 'pirates' gathered in full costume to be part of the
GWR attempt. Video footage was taken and sold in to broadcast
and social media. The footage appeared on BBC London Tonight,
London Tonight, MSN, Orange.co.uk, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and
• Print coverage for the campaign included The Sun, The Times, Times
Online, The Guardian, The Sun, The Daily Record, Independent on
Sunday newspapers, along with numerous regional media and
• Total audience impacts for the pre and post event coverage
topped 50 million.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.