Experian CheetahMail, Europe’s leading email marketing provider, today released a report highlighting best practice advice for brands engaging in multichannel marketing.
The report entitled, ‘The perfect digital blend: engaging customers through email, SMS and social media,’ reveals that 57 per cent of consumers do not feel marketers target them correctly.
Consequently, the report identifies how return on investment can be realised from effective multichannel digital communication.
The study illustrates the types of messages that resonate with consumers across three digital channels: email, SMS and social media; and suggests brands that integrate activity through a multichannel approach will engage customers more effectively.
Experian CheetahMail urges brands keen to navigate the digital landscape and understand how to engage with consumers to take into account the following key considerations:
• Relevance continues to be critical, with targeting based on web analytics leading the way. Consumers expressed the highest willingness to respond to emails including a discount offer for products they had been recently researching online (45%). This was followed by reminder emails regarding shopping baskets that had been filled online but not checked out.
• Geographic and demographic targeting is also important, with consumers confirming that they would be more likely to respond to emails relating to products/services available in their area, or to their lifestyle or age group.
• 51% of young people (18-24 year olds) indicated they would be happy to follow brands on social media sites, with the main reasons being to ‘find out about sales and special offers’ (33%) or to ‘hear other users experiences and reviews’ (17%).
• Brands need to identify and reward advocates that are actively sharing content on social media. This could include sharing new/pre-release information with them first. • Adding an email address collection box on social media networks can provide a noticeable uplift in subscriber bases for future email campaigns, creating long term customer engagement.
• Post purchase, service-based messages are most welcome. These include ‘confirmation of a purchase or appointment’ (45%) and ‘confirmation of a delivery date’ (51%).
• SMS works very well as a call to action in above-the-line advertising. This is an effective way of generating an immediate response from consumers and of capturing their contact details for future mailings.
• Offer based SMS campaigns are of interest to consumers as long as they are timely and relevant. They can draw on techniques such as geo-fencing to drive local customers in-store.
Steve Lomax, Managing Director, Experian CheetahMail EMEA, comments “Brands that intelligently integrate digital channels will be most effective. Good examples include ITV which has integrated email and social media to build and engage its online audience.
“It’s vital to present customers with the right offer, at the right time, through the right channel mix. When implemented correctly, campaigns that are relevant and timely are likely to generate significantly higher return on investment than standard bulk mailings."
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.