By Melanie Mckinney, Publisher, UTalkMarketing.com
Agencies are not renowned for having the most user-friendly or search-engine friendly websites. One agency went with a video of people skating on the homepage – alternating with a video of a hare – and nothing else!
Fortunately this agency (you know who you are!) have since changed their website for the better. However, for the industry at large it’s still a mixed picture with much work to be done.
The power of agency websites should not be under estimated. In many cases it is the first impression the client will get of your agency so it needs to be a good one. You need a clear but welcoming and engaging website which gives the client all the information they need, in the simplest of ways.
You can still make your website look cool, and you can still have fun with it. But don’t drive prospective clients away before they have even read your ‘About Us’ page.
Here are UTalkMarketing’s 5 top tips on how to create a website prospective clients will love.
1. What potential clients actually want from your website
• To be able to find out information about what you do quickly and easily
• Find a contact email and address
• Find out who your clients are to see if they are impressive or if there is a clash
• To see examples of the work you’ve done, in detail, with evidence of how it has delivered on the brief
2. Keep your website current and ensure it works well!
• Websites need on-going maintenance to make sure they are always running as new
• Never let your website go stale
• Keep the contact details up to date
• Keep your news page up to date – prospective clients don’t want to read news that is 2 years old!
• Use it as both an internal communications tool and an opportunity to let staff blog
3. You need an SEO strategy so your website can be found by potential clients
• Think about searches clients might be performing that would bring them into contact with you e.g.
• Searching for work that they’ve seen that they like
• Searching for clients you might have
• Services that you offer
4. Get links to your website – homepage and specific pages
• Try and get links to specific pages on your site from the trade press when giving out stories
• These will help you build your page rank
• If you are part of a bigger network, ensure all the individual sites link to one other
5. The flash debate
• You can use flash but don’t use it excessively!
• Flash makes it very hard for Google to index your content, although there have been improvements in recent times
• It makes it very hard for people to link to your content
• Use elements of flash within your HTML or use HTML 5 which looks great and is SEO friendly!
To find out how you can get your agency's content on UTalkMarketing.com and your profile listed in the agency directory, drop me a note at email@example.com or call 020 7300 7333.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.