Winner of the Most Innovative Marketing Award at the CIM Travel Marketing Awards.
Best practice from Positive Digital.
• Be the first cruise line to deliver instant news and offers to the desktops of 1,000+ UK travel agents
• Create a desktop widget to push instant messaging to Royal Caribbean’s travel agent partners as part of their ‘Easy to do Business with’ ethos
• Desktop widget to be:
- A constant reminder of the brand
- An instant messenger of news, offers, deals and product information
- Easy to download and install
- Interactive and engaging for ultra longevity
- Drive traffic to Royal Caribbean trade facing websites
- Updatable via a content management system for easy refreshing by the client – Able to record the number of installations
• The ‘Cruise Compass’ desktop widget was developed as an innovative new communication channel for RCI to market to their travel agents and trade partners. Key sales, incentives and information message categories were used to ensure that Royal Caribbean is front of mind when travel agents advise clients on potential cruises.
• The creative concept was designed to resonate with defined trade target audiences in an impactful, engaging and motivating way. As an interactive tool the ‘Cruise Compass’ animates on to the screen when opened. Brand rich mini videos can be triggered by the user highlighting innovations and onboard features which set RCI apart from other cruise companies.
• Preferences can be set so that trade users can customise the widget settings and receive messaging and offers relevant to them, including their region and frequency of update alerts.
• A competition mechanic was built in to provide an additional incentive to engage and also to capture data. A link to a user poll provided further interactivity and information provided by users in the same industry.
• The widget was developed using Flash technology with rich media resources to provide a dynamic and immersive experience based on a Windows platform for PC users.
• Finality of release specification - once released, updates could not be made without releasing a new version.
• Security – requirement for a secure server to handle personal data; restricting CMS updates to authorised users only.
• File size – requirement for resource heavy, rich-media content but with an ability to run on a relatively low specification PC.
• Screen resolution – designed for both higher screen resolutions (so content could be read) and lower screen resolutions (not to overly dominate the desktop).
• Hosting infrastructure – staggering each widget server polling so the server would not be overwhelmed at any one point.
• 937 downloads March – September 2009
• As part of overall successful initiatives targeted at Trade partners, Royal Caribbean UK passengers booked to September 2009 increased by 26% year on year (source: Royal Caribbean)||User survey and feedback based on a sample of 3.3% of user as at 4 June 2009:
• 59% of respondents were very satisfied with the widget; 41% were fairly satisfied
• 65% of respondents used the widget every day; 35% at least a few times a week
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.