Best practice from Shine Communications.
• Integrated PR launch campaign, devised, developed and delivered by Shine Communications, gives new Martini Rosato boost to #1 sales spot.
• The 12 month multi-layered campaign has delivered a wide breadth of coverage across both influencer and mainstream media helping to build credibility and prompt consumer interest.
• The campaign does not finish until March 2010, but to date has delivered coverage worth in excess of £1,043,784 and the client has seen a 17:1 return on investment making Martini Rosato the most successful sales launch within their product portfolio.
• Shine Communications also commanded the creative direction of all other marketing disciplines (Advertising, Digital, Experiential)
Martini is a brand steeped in rich heritage within film, fashion and Italian Riviera sophistication, but lacks a clear role in the mind of the modern consumer - they are unclear about why, what, when, where and how to drink Martini.
• simply not on consumer’s radar – they don't think about MARTINI ® and nothing is prompting them to do so given the low investment in the brand
• not ‘good to be seen drinking’ and is perceived as ‘difficult to drink’
• overly dependent on older, heavier drinkers and has an old fashioned image fuelled by ‘older drinker’ imagery
• overly dependent on the Off Trade and at risk in the On Trade due to low rate of sale
• To re-invent Martini and re-ignite passion in the Martini brand amongst the 25-45 year old female market.
• To capture the imagination of Martini’s target audience, creating a following for the ‘Stay Beautiful’ movement.
• To communicate the benefits of having a ‘light’ drink with low alcohol ABV.
The overarching strategy was to reignite passion for the brand and re-establish Martini’s aspirational status by creating a through-the-line campaign called ‘Stay Beautiful’. Designed to champion the Martini Rosato drink – Martini’s first new flavour in 100 years.
The ‘Stay Beautiful’ concept is rooted in:
• Brand personality – The Martini drinker is an elegant woman in control.
• Graceful drinking – The low alcohol volume and lightness of the drink allows women to live the ‘Stay Beautiful’ persona when drinking Martini.
Our strategic approach
• Create new assets to excite and drive awareness amongst the target audience with one voice, one message, one tone:
o Capitalise on the brand’s heritage, giving it a modern twist.
o Make the brand more relevant and appealing to 25-45 year old females.
o Lead the conversation with consumers to conceptualise the ‘Stay Beautiful’ creative strap-line.
• Work with engaging and relevant talent to deliver the ‘Stay Beautiful’ campaign
o Using high profile talent to launch the campaign and generate impactful coverage.
o Work with experts (beauticians, stylists) to extend the media footprint of the campaign.
• Build third party partners to extend reach and impact of campaign
o Establish trophy media partnerships.
o Collaborate with brands that embody Martini’s values.
o Work with key on-trade bars to drive sales.
• Place Martini Rosato & pomegranate juice at the heart of the campaign and use it as a vehicle to deliver key messages
Stage 1 – Exciting the Trade
Shine worked closely with Martini’s sales & marketing teams to develop a series of stories to launch the campaign and build momentum within top-tier and mainstream trade media.
Shine secured message rich coverage within drink and marketing industry titles – including a full page in Scottish Licence Trade News on Martini’s new marketing campaign and a feature within Morning Advertiser highlighting the new Global Brand Manager.
Ongoing trade media highlighted the unique brand collaborations, campaign highlights and on-trade activity. Martini spokespeople were positioned as industry commentators within press allowing the brand to lead debates.
Stage 2 – Commissioning an A-Lister
Shine identified Thandie Newton as the perfect balance of elegance, style and composure - an ideal embodiment of the ‘Stay Beautiful’ concept – and embarked on a series of negotiations to secure her as Martini’s 2009 ambassador and face of the advertising campaign.
PR was the lead discipline which directed the creative treatment of the ad shoot, developed the campaign messaging and a multi-platform programme across digital and experiential.
Shine created a series of captivating images using Thandie Newton as the new face of Martini ‘Stay Beautiful’ and to highlight the benefits of a light alternative spirit.
Photography was unveiled at an exclusive viewing at Martini’s new lighthouse bar in South Kensington. Over 300 guests comprising of media, influencers and social scene setters and achieving 22 pieces of coverage within seven days across nationals and women’s consumer.
Stage 3 – Educating the Target Consumer
Shine created four one-page advertorials with high-end influencer media partners - Vogue, Glamour, Grazia and Sunday Times Style and an eight-page supplement, ‘Martini’s Stay Beautiful Guide’, based on consumer insight of the target audience.
The guide was written by ‘Stay Beautiful’ experts – who provided industry secrets on different lifestyle touch points: fashion, style, beauty, travel and bar culture. It was produced for ELLE and distributed as a supplement at events across the UK.
Stage 4 – CSR-driven consumer research
To add depth and meaning to the campaign, Shine commissioned CSR research with YouGov and psychologist Georgia Foster to reveal a new wave of woman who were turning their backs on the ‘ladette’ culture. Coverage included a full page in The Independent. Radio and WebTV content extended reach of message by
Stage 5 – Maximising Third Parties
We leveraged brand partnerships with Vespa, Toni&Guy and Pomegreat to extend the campaign reach and add value to consumer offering by creating exclusive content.
Stage 6 – Leveraging Global Partnerships
Leveraged MARTINI ’s ownership of Working Title Film premieres by forging exclusive media partnerships with entertainment media as well as MARTINI ’s sponsorship of F1 in Monaco where we created an exclusive ‘Stay Beautiful’ experience for OK! 12 pieces of coverage helped to maintain Martini’s position as the world’s most beautiful drink.
Stage 7 – Digital Content & Community Building
Digital showcase of the behind-the-scenes footage from the photoshoot, supported with an exclusive media partnership with The Luxury Channel. The trailer was seeded to over 1,000 influential fashion and lifestyle hosting-sites and blogs.
Social network initiatives included third-party guest editorial, fashion & beauty tips and fan site collaborations.
Shine developed an integrated campaign based upon strategic planning, digital expertise and consumer insight adopting a ‘lead agency’ mindset to achieve both business and brand objectives.
• 137 pieces of coverage generated between April and December 2009 across print, broadcast and online media.
• 83% of all coverage achieved was dominated by feature editorial
• Over 121 million consumers were reached with 90% of the female population aged between 25 – 34 having seen at least one relevant MARTINI message
• All coverage was evaluated independently by Media Proof and delivered a value in excess of £1,043,784
• We delivered a 17:1 return on investment
• 70% increase in no. of media items from 2008 vs 2009
Impact on the business
• Martini’s value has risen by +2.5% on the bi-month for the first time in over two decades
• Martini Rosato is the most successful sales launch within the product portfolio
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.