By Phil Husband, UK Packaging Development Manager, Smurfit Kappa.
In the 1980s Tesco put ‘shelf ready’ packaging in their Business Development Plan – and this well-known secondary packaging format was born.
By 2003 shelf ready packaging had taken off and was being used by all major supermarket chains.
Over the past decade shelf ready packaging (designed to house the product on shelf) has morphed into ‘retail ready’ packaging (designed to sell the product from the shelf).
Now, eighty five per cent of Smurfit Kappa’s market is associated with ‘retail ready’ packaging for FMCG products.
Smurfit Kappa has developed a simple guide to take customers through secondary packaging design development
Its set of functional guidelines will ensure solutions are not only ‘shelf ready’ but are fully ’retail ready’.
These solutions should aid the shelf replenishment process, create impact at the point of purchase and effectively present the consumer packs.
Smurfit Kappa’s ‘5 Easy’s’ guidelines are:
1. Easy to recognise
- The pack is easy to identify both back of store and in store
- All brand / variant / size information is on at least 2 sides
- All brand / variant / size information is clear and legible
2. Easy to open
- Opening instructions are clear in both diagram and word format
- Packaging opens neatly and reliably without causing any damage
- All sections to be removed are clearly highlighted through colour and graphics
3. Easy to shelf
- Pack uses shelf space efficiently (size, depth, height)
- Secure retention of product during opening
- Pack allows one-step replenishment to shelf
4. Easy to shop
- Brand variant and size is clearly visible to the shopper
- Shopper can easily pick up and put back a product
- Pack still looks good when half empty
5. Easy to dispose
- Easy to flatten and handle after use
- Pack suitable for recycling after use
- No mixed materials and can be recycled in single waste stream
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.