By Thomas Vollrath, Managing Director, 123-reg.co.uk
Your business is your domain and vice versa. Selecting the right domain name and sub-domains for your website are important and can have a significant impact on how visible you are on the world wide web.
There are several easy steps to consider when choosing your website address to help boost your search engine ranking and increase your online visibility.
1. Use your keywords – the more you use your keywords on your site, the higher the rank you will achieve with the search engines. Using your keywords in the domain name will get a ranking boost and the keywords are highlighted in bold on the results page, making your website more visible.
2. Don’t ignore the URL - Ensure page URLs are descriptive and use your commonly searched for keywords to aid with this.
For example, instead of www.sportshopexample.co.uk/shop.php?object=7&item=4&cat=7 use www.sportshopexample.com/shoes/tennis_shoes. This will help ensure search engines pick up on your keywords and give your site higher importance.
3. Use sub-domains - A sub-domain is part of a larger domain and can be used to assign a unique name to a particular department. Google currently views them as separate websites, which therefore allows you to capture an increased share of the search engine results page.
4. Go local - Buy the top level domain (TLD) of the country your site is targeted at e.g. UK is co.uk, France is .fr, Germany is .de etc.
5. Purchase existing (or dropped) domain names - Look for domain names with a high number of backlinks to take advantage of their Page Rank by building a site on the domain. Google also takes into account a domain name’s age, so if you can buy an existing domain name that has been around for years, you will get a boost there as well.
6. Combine the right domain with good content - If you can find a domain name with a keyword related to your site’s topic, great, but remember that other SEO techniques must be used as well; you can’t just rely on having a good domain name.
A strong brand built through great content, top services and useful tools is ideal for boosting your online presence.
Adding relevant and up-to-date content to your site is invaluable for the search engines and will see your web profile lifted.
123-reg.co.uk for example, uses its blog to keep content fresh, educate customers and to boost search engine ranking.
Learn SEO from the experts at The Knowledge Engineers and achieve SEO success.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.