Best practice from Rippleffect
In 2008, the UK’s number one dance festival - Creamfields - celebrated its 10th anniversary. To mark the occasion, raise its profile and generate ticket sales Creamfields partnered with Visit Liverpool and commissioned digital agency Rippleffect to create a viral marketing campaign.
As part of the marketing brief, Rippleffect was engaged to encourage some of the visitors to Creamfields to visit Liverpool as part of their trip to the region. This also helped to promote Liverpool and the activities taking place in its year as European Capital of Culture.
Rippleffect was commissioned to:
• Consolidate Creamfields position as the UK’s leading electronic music festival
• Provide a new method of targeting the festival-goer market
• Increase ticket sales both locally and nationally
• Increase web traffic to www.creamfields.com
• Increase Creamfields’ online database by 10 per cent to 50,000 users
• Build strong Creamfields affiliation between the city of Liverpool
Rippleffect devised a three month viral marketing campaign in partnership with Creamfields and Visit Liverpool.
Following close consultation with user groups, the digital agency created a micro-site – www.mycreamfields.com – that was designed to profile and build interest in the Creamfields festival. To drive traffic to the site it offered visitors the chance to win a VIP weekend at the festival.
Users had to answer several questions to define their ‘online Creamfields character.’ These individual characteristics were important as they helped an itinerary of arenas and attractions they should attend while at the festival.
Advice on where to eat, sleep and visit in Liverpool was also sent to the users’ inbox to encourage them to make Liverpool their base during the two-day event or to extend their visit to the city.
Rippleffect’s competition asked users to enter their personal details before they could proceed onto the page to discover their ‘Creamfields character’ to win an entry into the competition. Users playing the game had to answer several simple questions such as:
Q1. Which of the following fairground attractions are you usually found on?
- Bumper cars
- Big wheel
To verify their answers each user had to submit personal data and forward the game onto friends via a ‘recommendation’ section.
The ‘recommend a friend’ option provided the viral-marketing element to the campaign and more than 50% of the registrations came from referrals via the site.
The campaign also provided a click-through to the Creamfields and Visit Liverpool websites.
In addition, the site also provided access to ticket purchasing and usually undisclosed event information, such as set times.
• In three months the project led to over 10,000 new registered users for both Cream and Visit Liverpool
• A marked increase in ticket sales during the period the game was live
• More than 100,000 game plays
• On average each user played the game 3.2 times, indicating it was engaging and entertaining
• On-site research revealed more than a quarter of attendees to the festival came from outside the north-west region
• The Creamfields festival contributed an estimate £700,000 to regional accommodation suppliers and £780,000 to retail establishments
• The campaign was creative, fun, engaging and incurred a low-cost in terms of gathering high data levels and reaching a large and relevant target audience
• Based on sign-up of 10,000 users, the campaign delivered a 300% return on investment against the £3,000 spend, costing the client 30p per acquisition
The campaign ran from June to August 2008.
If you want to learn more about digital marketing come to the UTalkMarketing Digital Skills Accelerator training course where you will learn all the skills and practical knowledge you need.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.