The Institute of Practioners in Advertising has published its latest Trends in Television report, covering the first quarter of 2009.
The report records another robust performance from all television, with average daily hours viewed standing at 3.96 hours for all individuals. This compares to 3.74 hours in Q4 2008 and 3.97 hours year-on-year.
Highlights of the report include:
· The share of total television viewing taken by the non-terrestrial channels continues to grow, and has now reached 39.9% from 39% in the last quarter of 2008 and from 38.1% year-on-year.
· 86.5% of all homes now have digital reception capability, with that figure growing quickly as digital switchover gathers pace.
· 93.9% of all individuals claim to have viewed television at all in an average week. (93.4% in 2008 and 94.1% year-on-year.)
· The average weekly patronages (the percentage of the population tuning into a channel for at least three minutes during the week) of the individual terrestrial channels are holding steady. Meanwhile, the patronage of non-terrestrial channels continues to grow, up from 78.1% in the last quarter to 80.7%.
· The BBC continues to take the largest share of viewing of any broadcaster at 32.8%, followed by ITV with a 23.3% share. (33.4% and 24% respectively in Q4 2008 and 33.3% and 23.4% respectively year-on-year.)
IPA research director Lynne Robinson said, “This is another encouraging quarter for television viewing, both for all and commercial-only television. The major trends in the report are yet again the continued growth in non-terrestrial television in terms of reception, reach and share of viewing.”
The Institute of Practitioners in Advertising (IPA) is the trade body and professional institute for UK advertising, media and marketing communications agencies. It was established in 1917 as a servicing body and to negotiate on behalf of its members with media bodies, government departments and unions. Its 263 corporate members handle over 80% of the UK’s advertising agency business which has an estimated value (excluding press and TV production) of £17.7 billion.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.