BT Business has produced a ten point SEO guide to help SMEs boost their search engine ranking.
The guide was prompted by a survey of 70,000 websites which found that SMEs aren’t making the most of their web presence, failing to adopt simple tactics which could boost their online fortunes.
1. Plan your content - ensure your homepage reflects accurately the services you offer and that your domain represents what you actually do – and, if possible, includes your product.
2. Update regularly – the more you update your site with relevant content the better your search engine ranking will be.
3. Liaise with companies you often work with, such as suppliers and resellers, to mutually publish "We Recommend" links on each other’s websites.
4. Promote your website in all your offline marketing. Every piece of printed material from business cards to letter heads, leaflets, adverts, catalogues and directory listings should have your website address and your domain-based email address.
5. Work with a trusted organisation who understands your business, your goals and how to gain maximum impact.
6. Choose a hosting provider that offers reliability in the form of a service guarantee and a range of tools and services that will help you grow your business, especially Search Engine Optimisation and emarketing support.
7. Ensure that you have clear returns policies, prominent contact details, a recognised secure payment partner and a choice of payment methods, such as credit/debit card, invoice and PayPal. Business social networking sites, such as www.bttradespace.com, have free and simple e-commerce facilities.
8. Have a "Contact Us" page with up-to-date details, a map, a phone number - preferably not a mobile. Also provide as much detail as possible e.g. “We started as a home business in 2005.”
9. Keep it simple – over-complex and broken sites (with blank pages and missing links etc) perform badly on search engines and dissuade customers. Ensure that your website design is as clean, professional and uncluttered as possible with easy navigation. It’s vital that all text is spelt correctly and is grammatically correct.
10. Use pictures rather than just words and take time with your product images. These should be as clear and as detailed as possible and accurately represent the product to which they are linked.
For SEO training, contact the experts at The Knowledge Engineers who can help you to achieve SEO success.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.