A 'battle of the bands' comeptition helped Birmingham shopping and leisure complex, The Bullring, to increase its footfall and consumer spend.
The free Festibull event, organised by branding agency Big Communications, was in conjunction with the Birmingham based radio station Kerrang! and offered an opportunity for any unsigned bands to battle it out against each other with the public judging which eight would go through to the live final held at the Bullring.
From the eight finalists both the public and judges from Kerrang! Radio voted for the winner. The winning band then returned to play live once more at the Bullring, as the supporting band to Cage the Elephant. To help them to stardom the winning band also received a full makeover courtesy of the Bullring.
While the main aims of the Festibull was to raise spend at the leisure centre, secondary objectives included to raise the profile and awareness of the Bullring while getting customers to experience and engage with the ‘Bullring experience’.
The event also was to encourage loyalty of customers and generate leads to grow the youth audience.
Big Communications also developed an interactive engaging microsite www.festibull.co.uk that was central to the success of the event.
The microsite enabled:
- Anyone to find out more about the event
- Unsigned bands to submit an entry by uploading their own music, photos and videos
- The public to listen to tracks, and vote on their favourite band through a “Cool Wall”, thus enabling
Kerrang! to select the finalists and the winner
- The public to see photos and videos of the bands both pre, during and post event
- Anyone to pass this information onto others who might have been interested in submitting an entry or
attending the event
- The public to apply for VIP tickets to the final
- The public the opportunity to win a £200 Bullring giftcard
- Anyone to see more information about Cage the Elephant and download tracks for free
From the event video footage we produced two episodes of Bullring TV, one to promote the event, and the other to review the event. These were broadcast on the customer loyalty site (www.tv.browsebullring.co.uk) and the promotional episode was also used on the microsite (http://www.browsebullring.co.uk/tv/).
While the site was live the total footfall during the event (2008% increase/decrease):
- 18th October 175,699 + 10%
- 19th October 85,816 + 5.4 %
- 25th October 178,087 - 1.4%
· Raising profile and awareness whilst encouraging loyalty:
- 34.02% of visitors returned more than once to the site.
- Total number of unique visitors = 9,654
- Total number of page views was 34,578 by 14,610 visitors, which was an average of 270 a day.
- Largest number of visits on one day was on October 20th = 1073 visits.
- Average pages per visit = 6.24
- The microsite is a very small site with approx 8 main pages (total of 12 pages). The high number of pages per visit indicates that most visitors were interested in investigating all the content within the site
- The bounce rate was 1.52% which is extraordinarily low and indicates that the people visiting the site
were captured by the content and wanted to find out more information.
- During most of the days that the site was live, there was a 0% bounce rate and we anticipate the main
reason it increased was when people were waiting for updates or announcements.
- Average dwell time for the site was 7.04 minutes
- Longest average dwell time was on October 12th = 9.19 minutes
- This was a great result as it was benchmarked against an average of 2-3 minutes (Google Analytics) therefore demonstrating true engagement with the audience.
· Generate Leads
- We captured visitors’ details in a number of ways, totalling in over 3500 contacts
- Awaiting further results
For 2009 we have developed a digital strategy to ensure full integration with their above-the-line marketing.
Fuse Digital will provide a new loyalty website for Bullring customers. The objectives of this site are to target existing high value customers and help to increase loyalty of these customers by encouraging them to visit the shopping centre more frequently and to spend more. We would like to see people stay in the centre for longer periods of time rather than spending it online therefore the site needs to encourage users to go back into the centre. We see the site being the key driver within the digital strategy to meet the Bullring’s objectives.
We are in the process of building a new website that will promote the following:
· A monthly blog
· Channels (such as Women’s fashion, music, men’s grooming etc)
· Offers (for members only)
· Competitions (for members only)
· Information about why to become a member and why to use the site
· Bullring TV (continue to produce new episodes)
· Additional links
· “Share this page”
· Send to a friend
· Login/registration area
The launch of the new site will be announced through the monthly email and admonkey which is a desk top publication that can be downloaded from the site and gives the user regular news from Bullring. We will also provide web banners to promote the site on other websites as well as a skyscraper banner for the touch-screen, instore plasma TV and lift screen plasma. In addition to this we will also provide artwork for a car park banner and instore posters.
Monthly newsletters will also be sent to promote the latest offers and to encourage people to use the site. To ensure that we are delivering engaging content we will produce regular episodes of Bullring TV that will help bring the centre to life as well as producing idents for the plasmas within the centre.
The 2009 digital strategy needs to deliver the following:
· Increase redemption rates online by 15%
- Measure click through rates from email as well as competition and offer redemption rates.
· Retain customers and improve campaign management via segmentation.
- Increase retention rates by 5%.
- Database and campaign management each quarter to ensure customers remain on the database for
longer and do not unsubscribe.
· Increase customer acquisition via targeted campaigns and viral activity.
- Increase database by 33%
- Carry out database reporting and campaign management following email campaigns and web content updates each quarter.
At the moment the database is around 4,500 members. But there is a much bigger potential with a total footfall of 40 million each year. We are committed to hitting these key performance indicators.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.