Established in 1995, Eclipse Internet is now part of the KCOM Group, the UK managed communications provider. Eclipse is an established and growing UK Internet Service Provider (ISP) with over 100,000 customers.
Over the last 12 months Eclipse’s business strategy has evolved to focus heavily on business to business internet services, looking beyond connectivity. Their product portfolio has expanded rapidly to include a wide range of internet services for businesses, including server and data backup, managed server hosting, ecommerce, hosted email, mobile and other hosted applications.
In recent years Eclipse has won and achieved finalist status for numerous awards including the Internet Service Provider Association (ISPA) awards. In March 2008 they won the ISPA awards for Best Business ISP and Best Business Email. Historically Eclipse has built a reputation as a broadband provider but has always suffered from a lack of brand awareness on a national level.
Until a recent marketing campaign Eclipse had virtually zero brand awareness as a hosting service provider.
Eclipse Internet’s brand positioning
• Whether you are a business or an experienced home user of the Internet, as an Eclipse customer your needs are at the heart of our business
• Our aim is to be considered ‘trusted experts’ delivering internet service and support so good that you recommend us to your colleagues, friends and other businesses
Eclipse, professional internet services and support that you will want to recommend to your colleagues, friends and other businesses.
Eclipse Internet wanted to promote their customisable broadband service (first in the UK) for business and home users priced from £7.95 per month*
All activity was to be sales-led with clear call to actions and was to achieve combined business and residential sales. Eclipse was open to new ideas and creative executions to communicate the key message effectively.
SMP, integrated marketing agency was commissioned to develop a strategic ‘integrated media communications plan’ that maximises Eclipse’s position as the Best Business ISP and promotes their customisable broadband.
SMP needed to demonstrate creative thinking, in depth media knowledge and offer strategic communications consultancy.
SMP developed a strategic online communication campaign to promote Eclipse’s broadband offering. The concept was ‘Speed is nothing without control’ and was comprised visually of a man being dragged by a computer mouse. The call to action was incentivised with a competition to win a Ferrari Driving experience which links to the speed element of the campaign. This creative was carried through on the following campaign elements:
· Online banners which were served to Computer Weekly (targeting business customers) and various DrivePM websites (targeting residential customers)
o ComputerWeekly.com is a business to business website dedicated to the IT professional.
o DrivePM is an ad network and served Eclipse’s ads to IT specific websites
· SMP created emails which were sent out to Eclipse’s existing customers, referrers and resellers
· Landing page with all the relevant information and a link onto a competition page where customers answered a few questions. These answers were then captured in a CSV file and follow-up communication could be sent to the entrants at a later stage
· SMP also produced ambient media for Eclipse’s internal call centre staff to get them on board and involved in the campaign:
o Branded pens
o Block memo pads
o Bags for Life
Measurement, Evaluation and Results
The media campaign ran from 11th August 2008 to 7th September 2008. Eclipse then launched 24Mbps, and as the campaign produced good results, they put further budget into continuing the online media through Specific Media, another ad network, where we targeted both business and residential customers. This campaign ran from 8th October 2008 to 4th November 2008.
The campaign produced strong results with the expected click through rates achieved and Computer Weekly over delivering. The average arrival rate being 84% (industry standard being 82%) and there were 478 competition entries. There were also a total of 51 sales generated from the campaign.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.