Improvement & Development Agency case study
The Improvement and Development Agency (IDeA) (www.idea.gov.uk) performs an important role working for local government improvement. The agency, as part of the Local Government Association group, has the role of driving improvement within local authorities. This covers local government priorities such as health, children’s services and economic development.
The IDeA re-launched its website in 2008, 3 years after its last major refresh. A significant part of the redesign was conducted in-house by the IDeA so it was important to use an external expert to help verify and test the site before it went live. The main objectives of the project were to:
· Improve service to users
· Provide an interface that would lower support costs
· Understand user requirements
· Establish accessibility and ease of use of the site
· Provide independent validation of the work carried out by the IDeA
What we did
We carried out a comprehensive usability and accessibility testing project which involved:
· Lab-based testing with 12 key local government workers who regularly use the site, to establish how easy it was to perform certain tasks
· Eye tracking to establish where users focused on the screen
· Accessibility audit of the IDeA website to evaluate how well it supported the needs of web users with special needs
We then worked closely with the IDeA team to identify the key requirements of the site and provide solutions accordingly. The IDeA implemented our recommendations onto the redesigned site, including:
· Homepage explaining more clearly the purpose of the site and who it’s for
· Main navigation tabs to better indicate the scope of the site
· Redesigned Knowledge page
· Modified networking page to make the difference between sections clearer to users
· Descriptive page titles
· Clearly displayed labels
The usability and accessibility testing project offered validation of the work already carried out by the IDeA. Through the implementation of Webcredible’s recommendations, the IDeA has ensured the highest levels of usability and accessibility for the new website.
Our recommendations have significantly improved the IDeA website, giving further clarity in its purpose and scope as well as better location of keywords and more differentiation between the ‘Services’ and the ‘Knowledge’ page.
“Engaging with Webcredible has helped us to deliver a site which will offer an improved service to our customers as well as implementing a methodology which should mean lower support costs in the future.”
- Andrew Georgiou, Acting Web Projects Manager, IDeA
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.