The loveable draught-stopping snake made a heroic return to the nation’s doorways as part of Together’s new campaign to help everybody save energy and money at home. Stopping draughts is the first easy step you can take to insulating your home and saving money.
The Together campaign has made it easier and cheaper than ever with amazing offers from their partners B&Q and Tesco which mean insulating your loft pays for itself in under a year.
Launched in 2007 by former Prime Minister Tony Blair and endorsed by Gordon Brown 'Together’ (www.together.com), the UK’s biggest climate campaign, provides practical steps to make it easier and cheaper for people to tackle climate change in their everyday lives.
The campaign is delivered by a unique collaboration between business, government and civil society and facilitated by independent NGO The Climate Group.
In its first year, Together has inspired over 20 million individual climate change actions, saving UK consumers 3/4 million tonnes of CO2 and over £100m from household bills. Partners include: B&Q, Barclaycard, British Gas, The Church of England, Coca-Cola, Marks & Spencer, More Th>n, MySpace, National Express, The National Trust, O2, Sky, Tesco and WWF.
£1 in every £4 spent on heating is wasted through poorly insulated roofs, door-frames and windows. Insulating your loft is the single biggest thing you can do in the home to reduce your carbon footprint and can cut over £200 off your energy bills but over 10 million British homes are still not adequately insulated.
Proper insulation is easier and more affordable than people think but there are still barriers that prevent the public from taking action: the perceived cost, perceived difficulty of DIY installation, lack of knowledge of the potential financial saving and, significantly, a lack of emotional connection with insulation.
Make the draught-excluding snake a visual, nostalgic icon that prompts an emotive response and humour in people and find celebrity supporters to boost a nationwide snake-making craze.
Engage people with activities such as snake-making workshops to provoke their interest and involvement in the campaign.
Provide people with easier and cheaper ways to insulate their homes, enabling them to reduce their carbon footprint by 1 tonne of CO2 and cut their energy bills by over £200.
- Deep insulation offers and promotions from partners B&Q, British Gas and Tesco mean it is now cheaper and easier than ever to insulate your house.
- Together’s Make-A-Snake kits were given away with insulation products from selected B&Q stores and thousands given out to primary schools by Tesco Community Champions. Kits also given away for free from together.com resulting in over 10,000 kits reaching families through the campaign.
- Competitions including prizes of limited edition hand-made snakes by Donna Wilson and celebrity-made snakes
- Opportunities for kids and their parents to make snakes during half term week at the National Trust snake-making workshops at selected properties up and down the country.
- Celebrity endorsement of the benefits of making snakes and insulation with a short film featuring Helen Baxendale, Jon Snow, Antony Worrall Thompson and Sian Lloyd to engage the media’s interest. Helen Baxendale acted as Spokesperson for the campaign and secured some fantastic media coverage.
- Dedicated microsite where people can find further information and tips on insulation and making their own draught- excluding snake.
· Together Campaign Director David Hall being interviewed by our spokeswoman Helen Baxendale on Channel 5 News in an authored feature.
· Vanessa Feltz inviting listeners to phone in about draught excluders on her BBC London radio show
· Ian Cheshire discussing snakes and insulation on BBC’s Working Lunch
· Snakes mentioned on The Wright Stuff and Steve Wright in the Afternoon
· An insulation “factoid” on the Steve Wright Show on BBC Radio 2
· Articles in the Metro, The Sunday Mirror, The Daily Mirror, The Guardian
· Featured online on First News, Yahoo, MySpace, Carbon commentary, Al Write now and Allaboutyou.com
· Visits to the campaign website www.together.com consistently amongst the highest we’ve ever had, with over 1,500 new signups to our newsletter so far.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.